Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Cassette Review: Hit School "Hit School" (Already Dead Tapes and Records)


[$5 // Edition of 100 // https://alreadydeadtapes.bandcamp.com/album/ad212-hit-school-hit-school]

I like the name Hit School because even though it could be a reference to somewhere you would learn mixed martial arts (or even if you want to think of it as something out of "The Karate Kid") it could just as easily be in reference to the fact that every song by this band is a "hit".   My mind wanders back to the Guttermouth album titled "Hit Machine" for reference on this one.    But then I also just believe that Hit School has their name not because these songs would be on the Top 10 like Michael Jackson but because if you saw Hit School live you might get punched in the face.

Somewhere between thrash and ATDI, somewhere between singing and screaming, Hit School begins this cassette hitting hard and does not let up.    Machine gun-drum machine beats can be heard as this comes somewhere between rock n roll and The Dedication as well.  It has those chaotic bits like The Lot Six but can stay somewhat grounded like Dana Fowler And The.    Elements of hardcore can also bring out a band such as Snapcase, whom I love still.

Back in the early '00's I was really into music which sounds like this, as I can recall seeing a number of the bands I can find influences for in here.   But as the '00's progressed I felt like more and more bands started sounding the same (and too many bands which claimed to be "hardcore" had some emo in them, which really became like this Hot Topic scene unfortunately) and a lot of that is why I stopped writing about music for a few years.  I just... I didn't feel that same sense of pride upon hearing a new band for the first time- such as Sex Positions- and experiencing the way they were changing music.

Now I sit here, some ten years later, and can feel Hit School changing that.   In some sense, if you really want to look back to older hardcore, such as Victory Records or Revelation, you'll find their bands on cassette, so perhaps this being on cassette is what has done it versus some label now thinking they are too good to put out cassettes but totally will sell vinyl for $25.   But really I just think that Hit School has a sound which found them on Already Dead because Already Dead puts out quality music of all genres where as another label which specializes in hardcore might overlook Hit School because they won't be played in Hot Topic.    That, in itself, is a reason to listen to this cassette I've been waiting ten years or more to finally hear and change things forever.








No comments:

Post a Comment