Friday, October 21, 2016

Cassette Review: Supervolcano "The Vault" (White Reeves Productions)


[$5 // https://whitereevesproductions.bandcamp.com/album/the-vault-wrp014]

At some point in time, my reviews become useless.   If you haven't taken my words to heart after "Lifehater" it's one thing but by "Poor Guy" I'm going to have to start saying that you're the problem for not listening to this music and no matter what I type here isn't going to change that.    Unless you just genuinely missed the first two cassettes by Supervolcano somehow, in which case they are still available on the White Reeves Productions Bandcamp site.   I can say that as I type this right now because I checked, but the thing is, by the time the next Supervolcano cassette comes out I might not be able to say the same again so take this as your final warning of sorts, to get the complete trilogy before having to hope they show up on Discogs.

When I see a title like "The Vault" I can only, of course, think about someone out there releasing one album for every three that they make.   I mean, if you do something like that you could be releasing music long after you're dead and in some ways I kind of feel like, why wouldn't you?   Although then we get into the legal aspects of it.  Such as how there is supposedly Nirvana songs out there we can't hear.   And plus it kind of also goes along with the idea of if you're making a song you really love and want people to hear, you're going to want them to hear it as soon as they possibly can-- you know, you might not be able to just sit on it and wait.

In this Supervolcano sense I feel more like the vault is part of a spaceship and however you see this one play out in space is up to you, but just try and think about there being some sort of locked box up there as well.    Space guitar notes take us into a somewhat ambient sound overall.   It's not in the same way that you might feel relaxed sitting in a field full of flowers, but rather the way you could imagine feeling relaxed by staring out into the vastness known as space.   I know that looking through a field of green nature or even just being lost in the woods or at sea can provide different feelings than being in space- especially since it's easier for a guy like me to actually experience those things but not space- and that just kind of adds to the mystery and imagination of it all for me as well.

From static within blissful tones to sort of words being spoken there are space whirrs and this is just overall atmospheric.    I often times feel like I do play-by-play commentary when listening to cassettes which fall into that ambient genre, but what you have to understand about this Supervolcano cassette is that each sound is much more deliberate.    Usually if I feel like I'm doing play-by-play on a piece of music such as this, I still feel like I'm giving a sort of general, overall take on what is happening- sort of how you could describe a movie with a brief synopsis.   But on "The Vault" I do feel as if my providing that play-by-play could be the difference between the typical number of paragraphs I use and a novel of some sort.    I've always felt that instead of reading really long reviews one could simply listen to the music instead, but this might be worth taking the time to type out as a lengthy story one day.

Often times I feel like I'm saying, of ambient music, that someone should create a visual to go along with the music.   And, yes, that would obviously also apply here-- that some sort of visionary who uses moving images could provide a supplement to this sound in the sense of a movie or music video if you will.   But this could go beyond that, in the way which I feel like I could type words about it on end.   I feel like if you had enough black ink, you could easily somehow get into this Frank Miller type graphic novel (Think "Sin City" meets "Lost" but in outerspace) that I would certainly try my hand at but I cannot draw.








No comments:

Post a Comment