Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Cassette Review: graffiti trials "no dancing"


[$5 // Edition of 50 // https://graffititrials.bandcamp.com/album/no-dancing]

I like the idea of the name Graffiti Trials because it makes me feel like people are being put on trial- in a court of law, in front of a judge and jury- for graffiti related crimes.    I'm not saying that graffiti is okay because in some sense it is vandalism and it costs money to remove it and all of that (and some people make shit graffiti anyway) but it is funny to me that it feels like it's one of those crimes we just, as a society, sort of blow out of proportion.   Like, you could murder fifteen people and get less of a sentence than someone who sprays some paint on a public building.

Through the sounds of footsteps in a hall and doors closing some synth lasers and beats.   Percussion leads to singing and there is a certain amount of funk in the bass on this one.   Electronic rock is an okay way to describe it, but it also strongly reminds me of the Blue October song "Drilled A Wire Through My Cheek"- which, yes, I fully believe is less of a song and more of a genre in itself.
A split of male and female vocals singing make me think of Adverse Side FX (even though they strictly had male vocals) and then I'm also reminded of something along the lines of PJ Harvey, Garbage, you know, that sort of 1990's distorted almost dark rock in ways.   On that level, yes, I could see this being on some sort of soundtrack like "The Crow" or maybe even "Hackers", but more like some combination of the two (Is there a movie which combines those two ideas?  I'd totally watch that)

If you're a fan of music with lyrics then this will be good for you, but also you have to recognize that there are possibly more instrumental parts on this cassette than not and those songs in some ways are greater than when there are vocals.   This could easily be one of those cassettes which wins someone over in that sense of "Oh I don't listen to instrumental music but I do like this" because the instrumental aspects of it, even with audio clips spliced in, are just so fantastic.






No comments:

Post a Comment