Monday, November 14, 2016

Cassette Review: Snow Angel "Snow Angel" (Captain Crook Records)


[$3 // Edition of 25 // https://captaincrookrecords.bandcamp.com/album/snow-angel]

As I listen to this cassette a lot of what is coming out reminds me of Gabby La La if only because it also says "Gabby Gab Music BMI" on the back.   I don't know if it's just a coincidence or whatever but it doesn't matter because this could be Gabby La La in more of a full band setting (And the covers cassette was more of her solo) or this could just be completely unrelated-- it doesn't matter because it's good and you should be listening to it regardless.

There is an upbeat sense to the music, as it is mostly ukelele and vocals, but there are can also easily be whispers within the singing.   In some ways, it reminds me of One-Eyed Doll but without the... whatever it is that makes OED fall into that "alternative" genre if that makes sense.    Just in the sense that if you won't go to a One-Eyed Doll show because you don't want people next to you asking about that new Korn album then, yeah, Snow Angel might be better suited for you.

Through melodies and harmonies these songs are both angelic and jovial.   It gets a bit darker by the end of Side A, but you will also hear one of my favorite comments on any album ever: "That was the weirdest drum track I've ever done".  I mean, that alone should make you want to listen to this, right?   Someone who doesn't want to write a lengthy review could just include that quote and be like, "Find out why it was said by listening to this cassette!"   I think that could bring people in because at least to me it definitely should.

Side B has two new songs to start things off- which find a keyboard brought into the fold and at one point there is even laughter as the pop reigns seem to take control- and then the last two songs are remixes of songs from Side A.   I've always felt like there was a pop quality to any artist who offered up remixes and the fact that when Snow Angel plays I do not think of the cold weather but rather bubbles floating around everywhere in the clouds, yeah, I could say this just helps to confirm that but only in the best possible way.

I'm not sure what to compare Snow Angel with as I've not heard anything quite like it before but I do enjoy it.   The cassettes are almost gone and when they are none of this will matter in the sense of "Go buy the cassette!", but it will still have the download up so if you listen to it and enjoy it, please pay a couple bucks so the artist (and label) can continue to put out music as great as this.   If you've listened to Gabby La La then you might have an idea about this one but otherwise I'm not sure what to tell you other than how much I like it.







No comments:

Post a Comment