Thursday, August 17, 2017

Music Review: Great Grandpa "Plastic Cough"


Back in 2015, I got an email from Great Grandpa inviting me to listen to their debut EP "Can Opener", which I did.    Presented as a band with former members of I Kill Giants and Postmadonna, not only did I know why I was receiving the email but I also was really into it because apparently there is a combination of "Former Members Of" that can actually make me listen to music.

Fast forward to two years later and Great Grandpa is back with a full length this time.   I remember Great Grandpa being good, but I don't remember Great Grandpa being this good.   If you want to put out an EP that catches my attention and I wonder "How will they make an entire album on par with this", well, just listen to "Plastic Cough".    Great Grandpa is setting the bar pretty high for a lot of music that I listen to, but in some ways I expect nothing less.

I went back and read my review of "Can Opener" before writing this (And was embarrassed at my use of the word "cramazing") because I like to make sure that I'm not just making the same comparisons every time I review an artist.   I will say that Speedy Ortiz came out in my notes and I named them previously as well, but if it works I'll stick with it.   In ways, these songs also have that laid back feel of either Wheatus' "Teenage Dirtbag" mixed with the "El Scorcho" type Weezer rock.

Aside from the fuzzy rock and big chords you're going to hear a decent amount of words.    I'm not sure there is an easy way to explain this since it doesn't really happen but there are vocals and backing vocals, sometimes at the same time, but also the lead vocals can sometimes repeat themselves where they either feel as if they are on a loop or layered over each other.    It is what could be called in music a "round" but don't quote me on that because I don't remember my music theory class.

While these songs are overall pleasant to the ears and they pick up where "Can Opener" left off, what you need to take away from this perhaps most of all is the lyrical content.   These songs can get stuck in your head, but you can find yourself singing about how it's been a long time since you've been faithful.   It's not a radio-friendly version of catchy but it goes to show you that lyrics can have meaning and get stuck in your head.    Great Grandpa has found that in between area I thought wasn't previously possible.


Download + Physical purchase info: https://greatgrandpa.bandcamp.com/album/plastic-cough

No comments:

Post a Comment